Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

That summer feeling


I have always loved summer. My childhood "summer feeling" is one of the most vivid, precious memories I have. At the mention of summer, my mind automatically goes back to how I felt laying on the slatted benches of my grandma's back porch, listening to the church bells and cicadas ring out the end of one of those perfectly balanced summer days. I would stare out at the trees with eyes tired from squinting through the hot summer haze, feeling my breath move slowly out of lungs heavy from being pushed to the max after running, jumping and diving through the day. I would lay, daydreaming and listening to the sounds of my grandma gathering up the ingredients for one of her famous ice cream sodas. As summer wrapped me up in its warm, protective embrace, I remember feeling so peaceful, so connected and so sure of my little place in the world.

Like everything else in my world, the way I experience summer has changed since I became a mom. Where there were once underwater swimming contests in my neighbor's pool, now there are marathon splash sessions on the pool steps led by my little man. Where I used to delight in racing through the grass as quickly as my legs could take me, I have now slowed to an inchworm's crawl as I help E test out where those chubby little legs can take him. Sometimes I do long for the activities that used to define summer for me, but watching E experience his brand new summer adventures has added a new dimension to my "summer feeling".

E's first splash session of the season at Auntie Niki's pool
I now have more of an appreciation for the family and friends who sprinkled their love and adventurous spirit over my summer days, turning them into something magical. I feel so grateful to have had an aunt who would go into the ocean with me no matter how many times I asked (and it was a lot!);  a mom who taught me to dive under the waves; a grandma who would patiently walk me to the library to gather stacks of books; a grandpa who hung swings from trees; a dad who gave me the thrill of steering the boat; best friends and a sister to swim and laugh and explore with... the fact that this list could go on and on makes me feel so very lucky. 

I want summer to wrap E up as completely and snugly as it did me. The fact that I am now helping E create his own "summer feeling" is exciting, amazing and a little frightening all at once. I'm looking forward to seeing how some of the same people who were so important to my summers will shape his. He's still so little (only 10 months old!), but there have been so many fun summer things we have done together. The little non-activity moments are by far my favorite, but here is a list of some of my summer things to do with E.

- Splashing- doesn't matter what the body of water is. Give this kid a pool, bathtub, pot, puddle- you name it, he will splash in it!
- Lots of ice pops (this is literally ice or frozen baby food in his mesh feeder- that thing is the best!)
- Swings
- Watering the grass, the flowers, our legs, the dog...
- Camping out in the living room during rainy (or 90+ degree heat) days
- Riding his red wagon around the yard (caution: do not start this activity unless you are prepared to do it for at LEAST a half hour)
- Occasionally skinny dipping in the backyard instead of taking a bath (just E- not us!)
- Breaking bedtime rules to enjoy family and friends
- Reading outside in our brand new front yard (we have an awesome shade tree!)
- Watching dada play softball
- Cruising the neighborhood in the Bob

- People (and big truck) watching at The Boro Bean in Hopewell
- Dining al fresco (and only in a diaper) as frequently as possible
- Getting fresh food at the Trenton Farmers' Market

What are your favorite things to do with the kiddos during the summer?
Add your ideas so everyone can have more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment