Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Diarrhea Diaries

I struggled to come up with a name for this post, but I think I did really well, no? A nice mix of accurate and scientific with a dash of class. Being an elementary school teacher, I have retained a healthy respect for bathroom humor and as a result, I generally can't say diarrhea without giggling. When I had to tell some family members that E was under the weather, it went something like, "Um, well, he has, you know... tummy issues. You know what I mean?"Anyway, I decided to mom up here and just use the word. Diarrhea has taken over our lives for the last few days, and I have had to do a lot of googling to figure out what to do to help the poor little man. I've said it before and I'll say it again- I need a manual for this kid! Below are some tips on what I've found to help.

Diet: 
Generally, we've been following the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apples and toast). Additionally, we have upped his intake of starchy foods like white potatoes, cooked carrots, and the almighty Cheerio (this has made E very, very happy). The doctor also recommended we feed E small, frequent meals so we don't overload his poor struggling little digestive system. I've been breastfeeding him a lot more frequently too. (Sidenote: Just before this all started, I was planning on starting E on one formula feed a day. Guess he was listening and didn't like the idea!) We have also been giving him Pedialyte and lots of water to help keep him hydrated.

Banana App-poo Cookie Recipe
Here is a recipe for "banana app-poo cookies", as I'm calling them (please see above confession about my love of bathroom humor). I was getting really sick of just feeding E straight applesauce and banana slices, and I wanted a different way to feed him the same ingredients. It's basically a healthy banana oatmeal cookie recipe with all the oil, sugar, etc. taken out. I am not a baker by any means, and I halved the ingredients from another basic recipe, so it calls for measurements that are a little weird.

1 1/2 ripe bananas
1 cup of quick cook oats
1/6 cup of applesauce
3 shredded cooked carrots
Pinch of cinnamon (can be omitted)

Mash the bananas with a fork. Add the applesauce, oats and cinnamon. Mix well and let sit for a few minutes. Place tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until the edges are starting to brown (about 10-15 minutes). Makes 16 cookies.

cookies before baking
E approves!
Mmmm. Banana App-Poo cookies are yummy!
Tips:
E was not too thrilled when I replaced his beloved pure water with Pedialyte. He drank some of it (mostly because he likes the opportunity to spill things on himself, the dog, etc) but not much. I froze the Pedialyte in an ice cube tray. Later I popped them out and put them in his mesh feeder. Voila! Tasty Pedialyte ice pops! He loved chomping away on them and I loved the fact that I could preserve the Pedialyte for a little longer. Apparently you're supposed to use all of the super-expensive bottle within 48 hours, and that does not sit well with this cheap mama.


Also, see that cute one piece outfit E is wearing? I'd recommend stocking up on items like that. It's comfy and doesn't have a waistband to squish E's poor little belly. Also, the leg snaps make diaper changes easier (and with the amount of diaper changing you will be doing, you will want it to be as easy as possible!).

Speaking of diaper changes, make sure to apply diaper rash cream or some kind of skin protectant after each change. Your baby's bum will also appreciate it if you use unscented wipes or plain old moist cloths instead of the pretty scented kind.


Previously unknown (to me) information:
The nurse on our doctor's hotline informed me that the acute stage of diarrhea can last from 1-3 days, but the aftermath diarrhea, as we shall call it, can last a few more WEEKS! Craziness.

And that's all, my friends! Any additional tips or recommendations are very, very welcome. 
I'm hoping things return to normal around here real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment